Quarter Days/Cross Quarter Days
This year, we are holding a series of competitions throughout the year on the following themes:
- Vernal Equinox
- Autumnal Equinox
We are looking for highly taut, compressed pieces of poetry in very short form:
- this might be a haiku; or
- simply a short lyric piece; or
- a short prose poem.
entries should be
- no more than 60 words;
- a maximum of 15 lines (including title and stanza break); and
- if it is lineated, no more than six words on a line.
£4 per entry
This series of mini-competitions will throughout 2017, with rolling deadlines for each theme/period of the year:
- Imbolc — 15 March, 2017
- Vernal Equinox — 15 April, 2017
- Beltane — 31 May, 2017
- Midsummer — 30 July, 2017
- Lammas — 15 September, 2017
- Autumnal Equinox — 31 October, 2017
- Samhain — 30 November, 2017
- Midwinter/Yule — 15 January, 2018
You may enter one mini-competition, or as many as you like, and multiple entries for each competition are welcome.
We will be selecting between around 20 pieces for publication in a limited edition, beautifully designed pamphlet, with soft touch covers and end papers. Winners will receive a complimentary copy of the pamphlet.
And the overall winner of the series first prize will receive a hand-made writing journal.
Past Results & Winners
- Utopia of mini-competition won by Ama Bolton's 'Elsewhere'.
- Taste of mini-competition won by Mair de Gare Pitt's 'Dust'.
- All entries must be previously unpublished.
- Please add your name and a contact email to each submitted piece of work.
- Entries must be sent online, using the form below. All submitted work should be in .docx, .doc, or .rtf file formats.
- Entry is £4 per entry or £10 for 3 entries.
- Payments can be made using PayPal from each individual competition page.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.