Cinnamon Press has a range of competitions to help writers establish a writing profile, including ALL NEW MAJOR AWARDS for poets (with categories for single poem, debut collection and pamphlets), story writers and novelists and a rolling programme of mini competitions. Scroll down to find out more about the competitions and the exciting opportunities they give to writers.
The MINI COMPETITIONS are a great way to showcase your work with us.
The ‘Changes’ Competition has just ended and you can read the winning entries and the superb runner up pieces here
The new mini competition is for our new pamphlet imprint Liquorice Fish and you can find out more and enter here
ALL NEW MAJOR PRIZES
You can submit to the new competitions any time from now to the deadline of each category and the next deadline is 31 March for the Poetry Pamphlet Prize adjudicated by Ian Gregson.
You will find results of the last adjudicated prize in each category here
Deadline: November 30 2014
Prize of £500 + a publishing contract & up to 25 runners up published in a poetry anthology.
The fee is £12 fee and the competition will be judged by Matthew Francis.
Open to those who have not had a full collection published.
Deadline 30 September 2015
General Guidelines (please click on the category headers for specific fees, dates and full rules for each genre)
- Entrants for the novel/novella and poetry collection categories should not previously have had a novel/novella or full poetry collection published (single poem, pamphlets and story genres are open to all writers, both new and established).
- Entries should be submitted electronically if possible, but we will also accept hard copy – send as two email attachments – one with the work and the other with contact details – please ensure you have up to date virus protection and send as a .doc or .docx or .rtf file. (If you have problems preventing electronic submission please email for guidance) or send your work by post without your name on it and add a cover sheet with full details including the name of your work.
- Submit up to 6 poems of up to 50 lines each (single poem); 10 poems up to 40 lines (unpublished); 15-25 poems of up to 50 lines each (pamphlet); the first ten thousand words of your novel/novella or a story of 2,000-4,000 words (unpublished) in a clear type script, double spaced for prose.
- Please mark your story/poetry/novel/la with a nom de plume and working title in the header (this is simply for reading purposes to guarantee that all pieces are read blind and judged fairly)
- Do not put any other identification on the work, but enclose a separate attachment with name, address, email contact & nom de plume and titles of poems/working title of novel/story title.
- Deadlines fall throughout the year between 30 September and 31 July, depending on genre – please check the individual pages.
- Entry is £4 for single poems (£10 for 3) or £10 for the pamphlet prize or £12 per entry for novels, stories, and full poetry collections. You can optionally add £4 to this to include a copy of the winners’ anthology for the poetry collection and short story categories, or a novel/la by a previous competition winner for the novel/la category (worth £8.99) or one of the winning pamphlets.
- Payments can be made online at www.cinnamonpress.com/ using PayPal or sent direct to firstname.lastname@example.org via PayPal or by cheque made to ‘cinnamon press’. You will find a payment button on each of the individual category pages.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- Contact details: Cinnamon Press New Writing Prizes, Meirion House, Glan yr afon, Tanygrisiau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3SU or email to email@example.com
- Results will be sent individually to all winners and runners up; published on the Cinnamon website and included in the newsletter.
- All enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org