Cinnamon Press has a range of competitions to help writers establish a writing profile, including ALL NEW MAJOR AWARDS for poets (with categories for single poem, debut collection and pamphlets), story writers and novelists and a rolling programme of mini competitions. Scroll down to find out more about the competitions and the exciting opportunities they give to writers.
The MINI COMPETITIONS are a great way to showcase your work with us.
The first Liquorice Fish competition on the theme of ‘Lost Voices’ closed at the end of October. Many, many thanks to everyone who entered. The results will be announced soon.
The mini-competition returns to its normal format for the next competition, which is now open.
ALL NEW MAJOR PRIZES
We’ve given our main competitions a fresh new approach with even more opportunities thanks to an incredibly generous donation, which has opened up the possibility of adding new categories, with fabulous prizes and outstanding adjudicators. Click on the title of each of the competitions for full details and to enter.
You can submit to the new competitions any time from now to the deadline of each category.
You will find results of the last adjudicated prize in each category here
General Guidelines (please click on the category headers for specific fees, dates and full rules for each genre)
- Entrants for the novel/novella and poetry collection categories should not previously have had a novel/novella or full poetry collection published (single poem, pamphlets and story genres are open to all writers, both new and established).
- Entries should be submitted electronically if possible, but we will also accept hard copy – send as two email attachments – one with the work and the other with contact details – please ensure you have up to date virus protection and send as a .doc or .docx or .rtf file. (If you have problems preventing electronic submission please email for guidance) or send your work by post without your name on it and add a cover sheet with full details including the name of your work.
- Submit up to 6 poems of up to 50 lines each (single poem); 10 poems up to 40 lines (unpublished); 15-25 poems of up to 50 lines each (pamphlet); the first ten thousand words of your novel/novella or a story of 2,000-4,000 words (unpublished) in a clear type script, double spaced for prose.
- Please mark your story/poetry/novel/la with a nom de plume and working title in the header (this is simply for reading purposes to guarantee that all pieces are read blind and judged fairly)
- Do not put any other identification on the work, but enclose a separate attachment with name, address, email contact & nom de plume and titles of poems/working title of novel/story title.
- Deadlines fall throughout the year between 30 September and 31 July, depending on genre – please check the individual pages.
- Entry is £4 for single poems (£10 for 3) or £10 for the pamphlet prize or £12 per entry for novels, stories, and full poetry collections. You can optionally add £4 to this to include a copy of the winners’ anthology for the poetry collection and short story categories, or a novel/la by a previous competition winner for the novel/la category (worth £8.99) or one of the winning pamphlets.
- Payments can be made online at www.cinnamonpress.com/ using PayPal or sent direct to email@example.com via PayPal or by cheque made to ‘cinnamon press’. You will find a payment button on each of the individual category pages.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- Contact details: Cinnamon Press New Writing Prizes, Meirion House, Glan yr afon, Tanygrisiau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3SU or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Results will be sent individually to all winners and runners up; published on the Cinnamon website and included in the newsletter.
- All enquiries: email@example.com