Cinnamon Press has a range of competitions to help writers establish a writing profile.
The MINI COMPETITIONS are a great way to showcase your work with us.
The Sonnet Competition has just ended and we are pleased to announce the winner is Estill Pollock with his piece, Tour of Duty. You can read Estill’s winning entry and the superb runner up pieces here
The new mini competition is for pieces in any genre up to 500 words on the them of HEAT and can be entered here
OUR MAJOR WRITING AWARDS have taken place twice each year for novelists, short story writers and poets for some time. We’ve received many excellent manuscripts and published award winning fiction and poetry as a result of the competitions.
This June is your last chance to enter these competitions. If you have a novel that deserves to an audience, a poetry collection that could win awards or a short story that could launch your writing career make sure to send it by the deadline.
After June we will be launching a programme of new competitions.
But all this is to come. For now – this is the last call for novels, stories and poetry collections in our familiar style competitions. Full details are below.
Poetry Collection Award £150
The aim of this award is to provide a platform for new voices in poetry.
The winning author has his/her poetry collection published with Cinnamon Press and receives an advance on royalties of £150. We have commissioned several other collections as a result of being short-listed. We also publish an anthology of the best poems submitted and all those included will receive a copy of the winners’ anthology. Entrants can also choose whether they would like to automatically include a copy of the anthology with their entrance fee.
Short Story Award: £150
The competition is open to new and published authors.
The first prize for a story between 2,000 and 4,000 words is £150 & publication. Up to ten runners up stories’ are also published in the winners’ anthology. All those included will receive a copy of the winners’ anthology. Entrants can also choose whether they would like to automatically include a copy of the anthology with their entrance fee.
Novel/Novella Writing Award £400
The aim of this award is to encourage new novelists, enabling debut novelists/novella writers to achieve a first publication in this genre.
The winning author has his/her first novel published by Cinnamon Press and receives an advance on royalties of £400. We have also commissioned other novels as a result of short-listing in the competition and this is a good way to get your work seen.
Guidelines for all Genres
- Entrants for the novel/novella and poetry categories should not previously have had a novel/novella or full poetry collection published (those with pamphlets and self published collections are eligible).
- Short story writers may have previous publications of single stories or story collections or may be new writers, but the story submitted must be unpublished.
- Entries should be submitted electronically – send as two email attachments – one with the work and the other with contact details – please ensure you have up to date virus protection and send as a .doc or .docx or .rtf file. (If you have problems preventing electronic submission please email for guidance)
- Submit the first ten thousand words of your novel/novella or 10 poems up to 40 lines (unpublished) or story of 2,000-4,000 words (unpublished) in a clear type script, double spaced for prose.
- Please mark your story/poetry/novel/la with a nom de plume and working title in the header (this is simply for reading purposes to guarantee that all pieces are read blind and judged fairly)
- Do not put any other identification on the work, but enclose a separate attachment with name, address, email contact & nom de plume and titles of poems/working title of novel/story title.
- Deadlines fall twice a year on 30th June & 30th November. The next deadline is 30th June 2013.
- Entry is £12 per entry for all categories. You can optionally add £4 to this to include a copy of the winners’ anthology for the poetry and short story categories, or a novel/la by a previous competition winner for the novel/la category (worth £8.99).
- Payments can be made online at www.cinnamonpress.com/ using PayPal or sent direct to email@example.com via PayPal or by cheque made to ‘cinnamon press’ (We currently have a software conflict on the site with the IE browser, but Safari, Chrome and Firefox work – if you are having problems using PayPal because of the software conflict you can simply send the fee direct to firstname.lastname@example.org via PayPal or post a cheque)
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- Contact details: Cinnamon Press Novel Writing Award, Meirion House, Glan yr afon, Tanygrisiau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3SU or email to email@example.com
- Results will be sent to everyone who includes a sae or valid email between August and October for June deadlines and January and March for November deadlines (depending on genre)
- All enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org