Independent, Innovative, International
Cinnamon Press has been publishing individual voices and beautiful writing for 10 years.
- Entrants for the novel/novella and poetry collection categories should not previously have had a novel/novella or full poetry collection published.
- Short story submissions should not previously published.
- Poetry pamphlets and short story competitions are open to all writers, both new and established.
- Entries should be submitted electronically, via the forms on each competition page, in .doc, .docx or .rtf file formats only. Please ensure you have up to date virus protection before sending any files. (If you have problems please email for guidance.). You may also send send your work by post, without your name on the MS, but please add a cover sheet with your contacts details and the name of your work.
- 10 poems up to 40 lines (debut collection competitions);
- 15-25 poems of up to 50 lines each (pamphlet competitions);
- the first ten thousand words (debut novel/novella competitions); or
- a story of 2,000-4,000 words (short story competitions)
- Please mark your story/poetry/novel/la with a nom de plume and working title in the header (this is simply for reading purposes to guarantee that all pieces are read blind and judged fairly)
- Do not put any other identification on the work.
- Deadlines fall throughout the year between 30 September and 31 July, depending on genre. Please check the individual pages.
- Entry fees:
- £10 for the pamphlet prize;
- £12 per entry for novels, stories, and full poetry collections.
- Payments can be made using PayPal from each individual competition page. Alternatively, send a cheque made to ‘Cinnamon Press’ to the address below.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
Contact details: Cinnamon Press Writing Prizes, Meirion House, Glan yr afon, Tanygrisiau, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3SU, or email email@example.com
Results will be sent individually to all winners and runners up, published on the Cinnamon website, and included in our newsletter.
Cinnamon Press is proud to publish Envoi now in its 59th year.
Envoi has high production values – published in February, June and October as a 96 page, large format, perfect bound matt laminate journal with an eye to presenting the poetry well on the page. We include a substantial section of reviews in the magazine and carry occasional poetry-related articles and poetry in translation.
An exciting new project developed by two of our authors, Jean Harrison and Mavis Gulliver, to enable our authors, readers and followers to get involved with supporting the press to stay innovative, independent and sustainable – publishing the books you want to read.
We’d love you to become a Cinnamon Friend, but you can also help whenever you make purchases online – scroll down to find out how you can make Cinnamon your ‘good cause’ on Easyfundraising every time you shop.